2018 Priory Matchplay Knockout Competition
A belated very Happy New Year to you and your family and I hope you had a great festive break!
Although a great number of courses are currently closed due to the terrible weather spring is fast approaching when the thought of dusting the golf clubs off and getting out on the course becomes more appealing. The terrible weather will soon disperse, the sun will come out and the enthusiasm will hopefully return for all of us.
We are now ready to get members to register for the 2018 Priory Matchplay Trophy Competition.
We had 24 entries last year for the competition but, due to Dave Farndon having an injury, the final is to be played shortly at Windlesham GC. We would love to increase the numbers participating this year to 32. The feedback that I had from previous year’s entrants has always been 100% positive and I would ask that you please consider entering the competition. It is a great opportunity to play new courses and get to know new, and old, members.
The rules for this year’s competition are as follows:
1. In each round the first named player of each pair has the choice of course and is responsible for arranging the game.
2. The normal rules of Match Play shall apply save that the player on his home course shall allow his opponent 1 (one) extra strokes in addition to the allowance provided for in the rules of golf.
3. The English Golf Union recommendation is that the full difference in handicap shall apply in match play and The Priory Match Play will be based on this.
4. Players will play from their normal Priory tees.
5. Any rules dispute should, where possible, be agreed by both players at the time. However, the decision in any ongoing dispute will be made by Kim Harris and will be final.
6. If a match is all square after 18 holes, the result will be decided by a sudden death play-off.
7. Members should notify Kim Harris on 0844 329 0039 or (Mobile) 07779 111555 or e-mail (email@example.com) of the results of matches as they are completed.
8. Those who are unable to play their matches by the due dates must please contact Kim Harris for permission for an extension otherwise a toss of a coin will decide the outcome.
There will be a minimum of 4 weeks between rounds so there should be plenty of time to play the matches and I would like to stress that players should be willing to try, as much as possible, to play either during the week or at weekends. Once the clocks go back it is not an issue to start a match late afternoon and, for those members still working, that should not eat in to the working day too much.
I would ask members to please support this competition and so, if you would like to enter the 2018 competition, please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Please do respond by return, even if it is that you do not wish to take part, as we often have members wanting to play but only responding to the follow up emails at the last minute.
Please ensure that you provide me with your best contact numbers and home golf club.
I look forward to hearing from you and thank you all in advance for your support.
First Round Draw
Abhi Ganatra v Chan Singh
Steve Shiebert v Paul Green
John Thompson v Tim Page
Maurice Manning v Roger Batten
Ralph Bartlett v John Summerbell
Eric Saunders v Kim Harris
Bob McKenzie v Jon Paddon
Annant Suchak v Jonathan Britton